Author: Porter, Venetia
Brand: Harvard University Press
Number Of Pages: 288
Release Date: 21-02-2012
Part Number: Illustrated
Details: Product Description The Hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, is the largest pilgrimage in the world today and a sacred duty for all Muslims. Each year, millions of the faithful from around the world make the pilgrimage to Makkah, the birthplace of Islam where the Prophet Muhammad received his revelation. With contributions from renowned experts Muhammad Abdel Haleem, Hugh Kennedy, Robert Irwin, and Ziauddin Sardar, this fascinating book pulls together many strands of Hajj, its rituals, history, and modern manifestations. Travel was once a hazardous gamble, yet devoted Muslims undertook the journey to Makkah, documenting their experiences in manuscripts, wall paintings, and early photographs, many of which are presented here. Through a wealth of illustrations including pilgrims' personal objects, souvenirs, and maps, Hajj provides a glimpse into this important holy rite for Muslim readers already grounded in the tradition and non-Muslims who cannot otherwise participate. Hajj does not, however, merely trace pilgrimages of the past. The Hajj is a living tradition, influenced by new conveniences and obstacles. Graffiti, consumerism, and state lotteries all now play a role in this time-honored practice. This book opens out onto the full sweep of the Hajj: a sacred path walked by early Islamic devotees and pre-Islamic Arabians; a sumptuous site of worship under the care of sultans; and an expression of faith in the modern world. Review [An] immensely rich cultural and historical source. (M. Swartz Choice 2012-09-01) Proactive spirituality is the propelling force beneath Hajj: Journey to the Heart of Islam...The subject is the great pilgrimage to Mecca that every Muslim is enjoined to make at least once and that millions embark on every year. The book takes you on every step of the route over centuries, through both extraordinary works of art dating from the eighth century to last year, and artifacts including mass-produced souvenirs--T-shirts emblazoned with 'Congratulations on your Hajj!'--created for the present-day pilgrimage industry. (Holland Cotter New York Times 2012-11-20) About the Author Venetia Porter is a Curator in the Department of the Middle East at the British Museum.
Package Dimensions: 11.0 x 9.9 x 1.2 inches
To learn more about our Shipping Methods and estimated delivery dates Click here!
Due to the impact of COVID-19 and the delay in some of our shipments, it may take longer than usual to fulfill some of the orders. However, be sure that we are always working hard to fulfill your order as quickly as possible.
* Most confirmed retail orders are processed within 1-2 business days. (Confirmed orders are those that are ready to ship and do not have any unresolved issues such as payment issues, incorrect shipping address or unavailable items.)
* Orders with expedited shipping services (FedEx Standard Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, FedEx 2Day and USPS Express) are processed and shipped in the same day if we get them before 12 noon central time. (FedEx and USPS International services are NOT expedited services. Holidays and weekends are excluded)
* Noorart will not be responsible for delivery delays due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our reasonable control, such as delays due to severe weather, natural disasters or strikes .
* During the holidays, please be aware that the shipping might be delayed. We apologize for the inconvenience and wish you happy holidays!
* Noorart has the right to upgrade the chosen shipping service to a better one whenever there is a necessity unless the customer put in the note box not to do any change on the chosen shipping service.
* 1 lb. = 16 oz
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
My Salah Mat
My Salah Mat is a prayer mat designed to educate children on how to perform the Muslim prayer in a fun and enjoyable way.